What is your comfort food? To some it could be hamburgers, to others it could be anything that reminds them of home or a pleasant experience requiring incessant repetitions.
And another one of the many comfort food you can have is the Mac and Cheese with Bufala Mozzarella. This recipe has been uplifted into a notch higher by creating it into miniature appetizer bites. Whether you are entertaining over a bottle of wine, or having a kid’s party, none can compare the solace it brings while reminiscing personal episodes over family dinners. And to be a welcoming starter to a celebration is so much of a delight rather than a meal in itself.
This recipe can be made ahead of time and then warmed into a 350 degree oven for a few minutes to reheat before serving. Don’t leave them in the oven for a long time or they will fall apart.
- 8 oz. Small elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. All purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buffala mozzarella cut into pieces
- 5 tablespoon seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- vegetable spray for the muffin pans.
1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 7 minutes, or until slightly al dente. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, melt the butter over low heat. When it starts to sizzle, add the flour and stir well to create a roux. Slowly whisk the mil and then the cream into the roux and cook for a few minutes, or until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Season with the thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another minute or two until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheddar cheeses and then the breadcrumbs.
3. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
4. Lightly coat 30 mini muffin cups with the vegetable spray. Depending on how many pans you have, you may have to make these in batches. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the macaroni and cheese mixture into each mini muffin cup and, using the back of a spoon, press down to condense the pasta. Place some strips of Bufala Mozzarella on top.
5. Bake the mac and cheese for 8 to 10 minutes, until they begin to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes- you must let them cool before unmolding or they might just fall apart. Place a large plate over the muffin tins and unmold them. Sprinkle bits of mozzarella buffalo on top. Bake and serve hot.
So whether you are making small bites or casserole of comfort food, always get the best ingredients and relive your moments. And for the comfort of buying cheese, always get from the source of all cheeses and the only gourmet cheese shop there is, the Ideal Cheese Shop. They have a selection of the best Bufala Mozzarella, and that indeed is comforting enough.